Coleman Connected Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Coleman, Texas > The city of Coleman, Texas > City Management (City Hall)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Transcript, Jameson, CC mtg, September 15, 2016
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transcript, Jameson, CC mtg, September 15, 2016

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transcript, Jameson, CC mtg, September 15, 2016
    Posted: Sep 25 2016 at 12:38pm

Transcript

Remarks Regarding Applications for EDC Boards

City Council Meeting, September 15, 2016

Mayor:  Next is item #4, new business:  “The city council may consider, discuss and/or take actions regarding the City utilizing applications for all applicants wishing to serve on 4-A CEDC Board and the 4-B CCC Board and submitting completed applications to the city secretary for future city council meetings at which time consideration will be given for all such applicants prior to appointments being finalized by the city council.”  Mr. Catoe?   

Catoe:  In an effort to better serve the needs of the city council, the staff and city attorney have prepared a proposed application form for prospective members of the 4-A and 4-B, as well as members who wish to renew their membership, and this information will assist the council in evaluating the proposed members for the 4-A and 4-B boards. 

Uh … and … the 4-B board has three terms expiring on 10/31/16.  I would like to request that applications are due on 10/14/16 to give us an opportunity to get those to the council.  The 4-A board has two regular member terms expiring on 12/31/16, as well as the CDC representative and the city council representative that have to be re-appointed every year.  We would ask that these be presented to the city council no later than 12/2/16.  And so we would ask your favorable consideration regarding this request. 

Mayor:   Kim?  

Kim Little:  Yeah … I think you just answered my questions, wondering about deadlines and timelines and stuff like that, so if we know when they have to be submitted by; because I knew that we had, in October, we had another deadline that we were trying to meet as well.  So I think that really was my only question. 

Then, also:  will all those applications be submitted to the full council for consideration.  Is that how that works? 

Catoe:  Yes. 

Councilman Jameson:  I’ve got a question. 

Mayor:  Okay. 

Jameson:  I don’t see anywhere in the by-laws that membership requires an application.  And I don’t know of any … school board, city or anything that’s being voted on … that has to fill out an application. 

Most of the people volunteer on their own and I think this is really … in my opinion … it just infuriated me.  I am not for this.  I will put it out there. 

The thing is, this is not in the by-laws.  It should have been put in the by-laws for approval if you were going to do it. 

And I see places where the by-laws aren’t even being followed! 

And … you know … “please explain your personal knowledge and understanding of the purpose of the lawful utilization of taxpayer funds supporting …” blah, blah, blah!  Well, maybe we ought to put in there, “Can you follow the by-laws of the board as approved by the city council?”  Because I don’t see where we’re following these by-laws. 

… And this is for the 4-A board, from their by-laws, it says: 

Section 5.09 Director of Economic Development:

The Corporation may at its option, employ a Director of Economic Development. The Director of Economic Development shall serve as the chief administrative officer of the Corporation and shall oversee all administrative functions of the Corporation.  The Director shall develop policies and procedures for the Corporation including financial, accounting, and purchasing policies and procedures to be approved by the Board and City Council. 

This thing to me is ridiculous, having this application!  I don’t like it and I am going to … I don’t know if somebody else wants to speak before I make a motion … but I am going to make a motion that we table this item and let the council has more time to research it.  Right now, I’m very much for doing that and that’s my motion.

Councilman Smith:  Could you re-state your motion?  … as specifically …

Jameson:   I move that we table this agenda item so that we have more time to research it. 

Smith:  I second that. 

The motion passed with a 2:1 vote:  Jameson and Smith voted to table, Merriman voted against tabling. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic