Coleman Connected Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Coleman, Texas > The city of Coleman, Texas > City Management (City Hall)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Transcripts, Citizens re: EDC Application, 10-6-16
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transcripts, Citizens re: EDC Application, 10-6-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transcripts, Citizens re: EDC Application, 10-6-16
    Posted: Oct 11 2016 at 7:26pm

Transcripts

Citizens Speaking on EDC “Applications”

City Council Meeting

October 6, 2016

Bill Hennig, Member, 4-B Board of Directors

Thank you, Mr. Mayor. 

Agenda item #4 under old business is nothing more than an effort to gain control of the 4-A and 4-B by the failed leadership of 4-A.  This is the kind of political maneuvering and disregard of the Open Meetings rules that may someday be the end of 4-A.   I would hope for a change in leadership in 4-A so that good can be done, instead of money and time being wasted.  I’ve addressed the failed leadership of 4-A two times before and if nothing changes I’ll probably be addressing it again.  Thank you. 

Nancy Emmert, Citizen

We’d all like to think that people in the world that we know are sincere and straightforward.  We all know that they’re not. 

We all know that the city council has the power to make appointments to the EDC boards … and the power to demand resignations from them.  Whether and how they exercise those powers is the issue here today. 

This is the third time that the council has been asked by its city manager to intervene in … not to confirm appointments … but to intervene in the manner in which appointments to the boards are made. 

On December 10 of last year … ten months ago … the council was somehow convinced that it was the right thing to do to make blanket appointments to the 4-A board in an unprecedented manner.  I’ve no idea what council members were told to convince them that this was the right thing to do, but they were convinced … and they succeeded in creating one of the most dysfunctional groups that I have ever had the pleasure to witness.    

It’s one thing to be fooled by master cons, folks … it’s another thing entirely to be snookered by a couple of hacks.   Anyone who was involved, who was misled in that controversy should be embarrassed.  Anyone who was complicit in it should be ashamed. 

Make no mistake:  the request to approve this application is one more attempt to control the 4-B board and put it into the hands of incompetents.  

Don’t make the same mistake twice. 

Monte Merriman, Member, 4-A Board of Directors

My name’s Monte Merriman. I live at 603 West College.  I am a member of the 4-A board, but I’m a citizen of Coleman County though ... Coleman … City of Coleman.   

The forms that we’re talking about filling out is [sic] for everybody to fill out.  It’s not just for me to fill out, it’s not just for the 4-A board to fill out or the 4-B board to fill out.  It gives the council information on the people that want to be on the boards. 

We’re not asking for a lot of information … or they’re not asking for a lot of information there, but just to know who they are, what kind of background they’ve got.  Have you run a business? 

It’s simple.  Information is all we’re looking at … or they’re looking at … to put out there.  And I think that you should have that information if you’re going to make the decision who’s going to be on these boards. 

There’s a lot of things that goes on in the boards and … you know … I’m not going to get into talking about the difference in the two boards.  But the 4-A board does a different duty than the 4-B board.  Uh … we’re involved in a lot of different things. 

And as far as being dysfunctional, I don’t think our board is dysfunctional.  Ah … and we’re very respectful to the other people that want to come and talk at our boards, which is not necessarily that way with the 4-B. 

But I think it’s a good idea for y’all to have the information, who’s applying, who you want to put on board, what kind of background information they’ve got.  Education? Business background?  That’s really the kind of stuff that you’re looking for and it’s the information that you need to make that decision on who is going to be on each one of these boards. 

And one of the things you need to consider is cronyism.  There’s an awful lot of that that goes on.  There’s an awful lot on the B board.  So … I think the information is a good idea.  Thank you. 

Joe Haynes, President, 4-B Board of Directors

My name is Joe Haynes, 1026 West Cedar, I live in the city of Coleman, that’s where I live.  I’m standing here tonight because I serve as the president of the 4-B CCC board. 

This item was brought before the council in September.  I believe Mr. Poage … uh, Mr. Catoe … gave you the date when that was.  I just want to clear up a couple of things up. 

It would seem to me that if you are the sitting or standing president of the 4-B board, that at some point … if there was going to be an opportunity to create an application form fir either the A board or the B board or both … that at minimum whoever it was that chose to do this would have at least consulted with the president of the B board. 

I’d like everyone in the room to know that was not done.  The first time I was aware that this item was going to be on the agenda was when the agenda was e-mailed to me.  I thought that rather strange. 

I personally contacted at least a couple of members of the city council about it at that time.  They had seen the item.  I’m not certain whether they were ever consulted about this item being on the agenda or not either.  It certainly seemed to me that they had not or were not.  They would have to know that for themselves. 

My father always told me that respect is earned, it is not given.  As president of the 4-B board, I would submit to you that having no information, not being told about this being considered, that is a serious lack of respect from the city manager. 

I’m not certain … nor have I asked him, nor has he offered me any information … as to whether the idea of having this application form was solely the idea of the city manager.  Or and if it was, why it was that neither the president of the A board or the president of the B board … or perhaps even the executive director of both boards … was not consulted.  So I don’t know the answer to that question.  You would have to ask that for yourself. 

If it was not just the current city manager’s idea, then I’d be interested to know who assisted in that idea or who suggested that idea and … even then …why it was that the B board president was not consulted. 

Respect is earned, it’s not given.  I’m going to ask those members of the 4-B board who are here to stand.  I do that only because some of you in the room are brand new folks here and you may not know who our board members are.  But we have a quorum of our board.  There are two or three who could not make it because, for a couple of things, they serve on other boards, as volunteers.  Thank you, please be seated. 

A volunteer is a person who loves his or her community.  I can tell you that I have served on this board since 2011.  As a matter of fact, one of your current city council persons was the one who suggested to me … twice … that I should serve on this board. 

The process has always been, since I have served on the B board, that the president of the board … if there was an opening to be had on that board … would solicit interest from various parties on individuals who may have an interest in serving.  Then at that time, the president of the B board … and I’m going to presume president of the A board had the same powers … would interview any number of individuals for these positions.  And then, at some point, would come before the council and make a recommendation to the council; and then the council would make its decision. 

Here in a few minutes, we’re going to give you the B board annual report and think you will see how productive our board  … a mix of male and female, older and younger … how effective and busy we’ve been. 

I appreciate the opportunity to serve on this board.  Nobody ever asked me for a letter of service, nobody ever asked me to fill out an application form.  I don’t even believe that city council members are asked to fill out an application form.  School board members, I don’t believe that’s right.  But I may not know how all the rules of those work. 

But I’m telling you that if you make an effort to try to do things without proper notification or consultation or due respect, that’s simply wrong. 

My request to the council is that you come to a determination on this matter tonight, an up-or-down-yes-or-no vote, because we do have … on the 4-B board … openings, because we have staggered situations on our board. 

Two of those whose terms are due to be reappointed have already told me that they are more than determined and eager to serve again.  I suppose the revised application … by the way, the 4-B president has not seen either the original one or the revised one … I suppose they would be required to fill the application form out also. 

I request that the council reject this item and take action to continue the process as we currently have it, where those who choose to serve are sought out or come forward to the board presidents and are interviewed, and those recommendations are made then to the council for your consideration.  Thank you.

Plainolejr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Plainolejr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2016 at 9:12pm
I find it amusing that Mr. Merriman would mention cronyism.  Isn't that why/how he was appointed to the 4A Board. Isn't that why Mrs. Merriman wanted so badly to the be Council representative on the 4A Board. (Just asking)

I don't know if there was a vote or not on this issue but it would be interesting to see if the Mrs. voted for what Roy Poage and her Hubby wanted. 

It is time to get rid of Roy Poage and his crony's or dissolve the 4A EDC.

Kim Little, Joe Haynes and the rest of the 4B EDC Board have done more for this City in 6 years than the 4A EDC has in the last 12 years.

Kim Little (Executive Director) was hired to work for both 4A & 4B but has had to fight Poage every step of the way. The 4A had a fairly good prospect which was a good fit for Coleman but Poage's resistance to work with Ms. Little caused them to go elsewhere.  

"In my opinion" Roy Poage is on a power trip and has no real interest in what happens to Coleman.

I'll ask the question that many people ask,  Who the hell is Roy Poage,  where did he come from??
Saywhat
Craig View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2016 at 9:31pm
Exactly, and we have watched this influence for many years now, knowing that it cannot possibly last much longer, surely eyes will be opened to the power hungry motives behind the facade and finally, yes finally they are. 

Perhaps the end is nigh.  Real leaders are waking up, a line will be drawn and positions remembered.

Link to Main page on this subject:
http://colemanconnected.com/post.asp?id=70105&t=4a-leadership-under-fire-again

Craig Allen
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2016 at 7:54am
Don't you just love it, joe, when people use words and the way they use them indicates that they really don't know what the words mean? 

Yes, there was a vote.  And yes, she did vote the way she was supposed to.  See http://colemanconnected.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70951&title=cc-meeting-regular-october-6-2016

And yes ... Kim has had to fight every step of the way.  As a matter of fact, to the best of my knowledge, 4-A has never completed the "performance evaluation" mandated yearly by her contract. 
Plainolejr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Plainolejr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2016 at 2:38pm
Cronyism is also the mechanism that Catoe , Merriman (then Council Rep. on the 4A board) , Poage, Turner and the then City Attorney used to silence certain a Council member  from asking questions (they didn't want asked) or making comments which threatened the way the 4A EDC conducted business.  The mechanism used was to not allow comments by the Mayor or council at the end of the meeting unless they were on the agenda.  The agenda clearly stated no action to be taken.  This gave the Mayor or council member the opportunity to express concerns from the people that hired (elected) them to look out for their interest. Maybe a complaint that had fallen on deaf ears at the city management level or to get an item on the agenda that the city manager didn't want in open forum.  NO ACTION COULD BE TAKEN but it was clearly a part of the meeting transcript that a request was made to have the concern addressed or an item placed on the agenda.  A mechanism was spearheaded by Merriman and her crony's to silence any council member that was out of step with the other council members, city manager or the 4A board by changing the language of the Mayor & Council comments.  

The same approach was used to silence the public when Merriman was mayor (Queen).  She instituted the rule about signing up to speak at the meetings and she would allow only those she opted to allow to speak. 

JUST ASKING;  if a certain council member walked into the CM's office and asked that an agenda item be placed on the agenda for the CM to tender his resignation or to call for a vote for dismissal of the 4A president that it would ever get?
Saywhat
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic