Coleman Connected Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Coleman, Texas > The city of Coleman, Texas > City Management (City Hall)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Proposition I

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proposition I
    Posted: Feb 11 2020 at 4:42pm

The ninth proposition that will appear on the May ballot is: 

Proposition I

An amendment to the City Charter providing that the City Secretary shall be appointed by the City Manager.

The wording of the proposition as it was presented at previous public hearings: 

Measure I

An amendment to the City Charter providing that the City Secretary shall be appointed by the City Manager. 

This is the only proposition to which there has been no change … between previous and final public hearings … in either the wording of the proposition nor the number of sections is seeks to change.

The earlier review of this proposition said:

Proposition Number Nine (#9)

This proposition seeks to change only one section of the charter.  It is essentially the same change to that section that’s requested in Proposition #8 except, under this proposition, the clause “with or without cause” replaces “without cause”.   The amended section would say:

Section 2.09    City Secretary

The City Manager shall appoint, and may remove with or without cause, a City Secretary, and such Assistant City Secretaries as deemed advisable, whose duties and obligations shall be determined and supervised by the City Manager. 

The section in the charter at the present time says:

Section 2.09     City Secretary.

The City Council shall appoint and/or remove the City Secretary and such Assistant City Secretaries as the City Council shall deem advisable. Such appointees shall be residents of the City of Coleman. The duties of the City Secretary or and Assistant City Secretary shall be as required by law, and as established by the Job Description adopted by the City.

Approval of this proposition takes responsibility for appointing the city secretaries from the hands of the city council and places it in the hands of the city manager. 

As noted, the proposition asks citizens to approve the essentially same change they were asked to approve in Proposition #8.  There are two differences between Proposition #8 and Proposition #9: 

(a)   there’s a slight difference in the wording of Section 2.09 that’s proposed in Proposition #8 and that proposed in Proposition #9; and

(b)   Proposition #9 does not ask for any change in the section concerning the fire department. 

Edited by Nancy - Feb 11 2020 at 7:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic